Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Slice of Heaven!

Recently, I started baking; especially bread.  I have have been baking just plain white bread and having all those refined carbs haven't been very friendly to the numbers on the scale...so I bought some whole wheat flour to try out.    Also, my frugal self doesn't normally keep honey on hand because it is pretty pricey so I replaced the 4 tablespoons of honey with 4 tablespoons of sugar.  It turned out beautifully and SO yummy!  Such a soft loaf of bread; it is just pure perfection!


Yield: 
2 loaves

Ingredients: 
2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees F)
2 tablespoon milk
4 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons sugar (originally honey)
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Instructions: 
1. Combine warm water, sugar and yeast in bowl and allow to proof.
2. Mix in milk and oil
3. In separate bowl mix together flours, salt, and brown sugar.
4.  Slowly mix in the dry mis of flour, salt and brown sugar into the wet mix until it forms a sticky dough.
5. Flour the counter top and hands and knead dough to form a smooth ball. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top ----->  Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
6. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then roll and slice into two loaves. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Rotate about 15 minutes in.
8. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm! Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed.

I Don't have a wire rack, so I use a removable piece that goes to my son's high chair!  I know I am goofy!  ha ha.  Now enjoy your warm bread with some butter or my favorite is with some Nutella! 





No comments:

Post a Comment